Protecting people, reducing costs
Facilities maintenance managers are playing a critical role in the return to the workplace after the COVID-19 pandemic.
They are being relied on to ensure working environments are safe and welcoming, which in the post pandemic environment means they must be hygienic as well as clean.
This is crucial because a study published in the Lancet in April 2021 found SARS-CoV-2 can remain active for up to seven days on smooth surfaces.
Touchpoint Shield™ is designed to play a hugely supportive role in helping facilities managers carry out this work in three important ways:
1. Enhanced hygiene
Touchpoint Shield™ continuously acts to reduce risks from potentially harmful microorganisms on high touchpoint areas, including SAR CoV-2.
2. Improved wellbeing
It provides reassurance for employees and customers that all is being done to provide spaces that are hygienically clean and safe, enhancing their wellbeing.
3. Reduced costs
Touchpoint Shield™ also allows intensive touchpoint cleaning to be returned to pre-pandemic levels, while improving hygiene standards, saving significant planned and periodic cleaning costs.
About Touchpoint Shield™
Touchpoint Shield™ is an advanced nanoceramic coating impregnated with silver ions which are proven to destroy a wide range of bacteria and viruses, including SARS-CoV-2, responsible for COVID-19.
The extremely tough, nearly invisible liquid glass coating is quickly applied by our trained technicians. Touchpoint Shield™ then instantly gets to work, destroying bacteria, viruses, fungi and mould, greatly reducing a surface’s bioburden.
Touchpoint Shield™ is proven to provide a long-lasting barrier against the build-up of microorganisms. On top of that, because the coating is, in effect, made of super-tough glass, it remains in place for up to three years. The only way to remove it is by applying a specialist gel.
Laboratory tests show our coating eliminates 99.9+% of bacteria and viruses, including SARS CoV-2.
These excellent results are backed up by our field trials. These demonstrate surfaces coated with Touchpoint Shield™ show a significantly reduced bacterial growth compared with surfaces subjected only to touchpoint cleaning with professional standard detergents.
In fact the performance is quite stark. On surfaces treated with Touchpoint Shield, bacteria and viruses and supressed.
However, on untreated surfaces, colonies of bacteria start to rapidly multiply within a few minutes of cleaning, which indicates that touchpoint cleaning on its own is not as effective as some think.
Facilities maintenance managers – the post-COVID-19 challenge
Facilities maintenance managers face a range of often competing challenges as they support senior executive teams wanting to implement a smooth transition back to the workplace.
- There will be interest in implementing additional antimicrobial measures but, in many cases, there will be resistance to actions that spoil aesthetics of buildings.
- While some workers may welcome tight restrictions, because they are particularly concerned about microorganisms, others may resent measures that restrict access or are perceived as oppressive.
- FM managers may be encouraged to intensify planned and periodic cleaning regimes, as part of COVID-19 security and as visible reassurance for building users. However, these will incur significant extra costs.
Touchpoint Shield™ – supporting your hygiene strategy
Touchpoint Shield™ provides valuable solutions to these competing issues and will integrate smoothly with standard hygiene protection plans, enhancing their effectiveness and providing important additional advantages.
- Touchpoint Shield™ is a targeted response to a key risk, the presence of potentially harmful bacteria and viruses on high-risk touchpoints, including door handles, push places and handrails.
- It can be easily, quickly and safely installed, providing enhanced protection from the first day it is applied.
- Touchpoint Shield™ is a low maintenance solution and will remain active as long as treated surfaces are regularly cleaning with a pH neutral detergent. No harsh chemicals are needed.
- It supports maximum use of space and access points so can play a part in helping to reduce restrictions in working environments.
- Field results for Touchpoint Shield™ indicate that intensive touchpoint cleaning – for example hourly in high-use areas – is no longer necessary, allowing cleaning resources to be allocated to other important tasks.
- Touchpoint Shield™ will support the development of hybrid working arrangements, where office space needs to be used more intensively for bursts of collaborative working.
Touchpoint Shield™ – reducing costs
As the pandemic ends, protection measures must be eased and reset in a way that’s sustainable for the long-term. That includes controlling hygiene and planned and periodic cleaning costs.
Touchpoint Shield™ can do this by reducing the need for intensive touchpoint cleaning. When were able to demonstrate to a major London bank that it could reduce its touchpoint cleaning budget by 80%, saving a very significant sum of money – while improving hygiene standards.
In addition, the coating’s super-smooth surface is grime repellent, so it resists the build-up of dirt. This makes surface cleaning easier to carry out, also improving productivity.
Touchpoint Shield also has significant sustainability benefits. The surface must be cleaned regularly but only with a standard pH neutral detergent, eliminating the need for harsh or specialist chemicals.
Touchpoint Shield™ – maximising trust and reassurance
Another key advantage for facilities maintenance managers is the way Touchpoint Shield™ reassures building users that additional action is being taken to protect them from harm.
A survey by the employees forum Blind found 65% of people working in high tech environments were anxious about returning to work.
Touchpoint Shield™ is a practical and powerful way FM managers can tackle this concern, improving mental wellbeing and greatly reducing the risk of conflict during the return to work process.
A key element of Touchpoint Shield™’s advantage is the way employees and customers know it is always present, helping to protect them against potential harm every minute of the day or night.
When we apply Touchpoint Shield™ we can also apply stickers (also coated), informing staff, visitors and customers that the coating has been applied and it is helping protect them against pathogen risks.
Touchpoint Shield™ – the SafeGroup difference
Touchpoint Shield™ has been developed by SafeGroup, one of the UK’s leading emergency soft FM specialists. We have many years of experience providing high quality services for FM partners in many different working environments.
As such, facilities maintenance professionals can be sure that delivery of the Touchpoint Shield™ service will be smooth, safe and professional.
Find out more
If you are a facilities manager and are seeking to encourage a smooth, safe and happy return to the workplace, while effectively controlling cleaning costs, find out more about Touchpoint Shield™.
Get in touch today: 0800 668 1268